Youtube Vudu Apple TV Google Play
Storyline from IMDb:
All Things Bakelite: The Age of Plastic, a film by John Maher, is a virtual periodic table of elements that combine to create a joyous and provocative story about the "father of modern plastics". In 1907, Leo Hendrik Baekeland, a Belgian-born American chemist, made one of the most transformative discoveries of the 20th century: Bakelite. It was the first wholly synthetic plastic and it ushered in an explosion of new man-made materials that marked the beginnings of our modern industrial age.
1. Was there another opening you had in mind or what this it from the beginning of this project?
2. List two words to describe this documentary “All Things Bakelite”?
3. What was the genesis of “All Things Bakelite”? How did the two of you meet and agreed to do this documentary?
4. How did you come up with the title of the documentary? Were there other titles before “All Things Bakelite”?
5. At what age did you discovered what your great-grandfather did, that he discovered Bakelite?
6.If you were to meet your great grandfather face to face, what is the one question, not related to his inventions, that you would like to ask him?
7. If you were to meet Leo Baekland face to face, what is the one question you would’ve love to ask him in relation to his inventions?
8. Jeffrey M., the author of American Plastic was in the documentary. Did you ever use his book as a reference for this documentary film?
9. Have you ever gone back to visit Belgium where your great grandfather Leo was born?
10. Are any one of your relatives following Leo’s footsteps in becoming or being a chemist?
11. Does either of you know where Leo’s science workbook and journals are today?
12. If you could direct a film-adaptation of any article/ short story/novella/ novel which one would you like to do?
13. I like that you include the misuse of plastic in this documentary, what made you decide to do this?
14. Do you have your own thoughts on how this issue could be solved?
15. Of all the characters you played on TV series and movies, which one was your favorite and why?
16. In one word how would you describe your experience working on this documentary?